Monday, October 20, 2008

First Step to Socket Programming

We come to the first terms: PROTOCOL.
Maybe some of us often hear the word but dont know what is the meaning of protocol, including me.
So here we start, figure out what is the meaning of protocol..

Protocol is important when we write programs that communicate across a computer network. Protocol is the agreement on how those programs will communicate.

If we started from the high level decision, we should decide, which program is expected to initiate communication (usually, the client side) and when the responses is expected. On the other side, the server side, usually acts as a daemon that sends network messages only in response to request coming from in from the network.

FYI, daemon is a term used for a long running program.

So what is socket?
Sockets are interfaces that can "plug into" each other over a network. Once so "plugged in", the programs so connected communicate.

For getting started your journey with socket programming, I suggest you to try and analyze a socket server programs provided by the MSDN (Microsoft's Developer Network). FYI, now I'm using an October 2004 version of MSDN, and for the IDE (Integrated Development Environment), I'm using Visual Studio 2005. I'll write step by step on trying the socket, based on my experience.

reference:
UNIX® Network Programming Volume 1, Third Edition: The Sockets Networking API, Addison Wesley
http://www.troubleshooters.com/codecorn/sockets/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sorry, can you send to me some ebook about socket programming in C? Thanks.
My email: andsheva@gmail.com.
I can become a your friend. I'm Vietnammese. My English not well. ^_^